By Gabi Angel
1. First of all poets are very intense; we don’t do things halfway. We will love you more than you thought anyone possibly could which at first may seem intoxicating but after a while maybe something you come to hate.
2. Sometimes as poets we can over-share when we tell a story. Poetry is a lot like drawing; except without pictures but we see memories in our heads exactly as they were! So no, the fact she was wearing a black shirt and tapping her nails is not important, but we’ll say it anyway because what would poetry be without imagery!
3. Our vocabulary is huge - I mean capacious.
4. Everything nature related is our thing, trust me on that. Rain, snow, the sun, sunsets, the ocean, the list goes on. You’re not dating a poet if they don’t have at least one poem that has something to do with things that occur in nature.
5. We are very articulate, so much so, you might think we're speaking in prose. We are often the "speaker" of the group with the one idea that makes you stop and think. A voice that takes up very little space in a room, but can grab the attention of anyone within listening proximity.
6. Poets are very hard on themselves. Poetry isn’t easy and poets are by nature perfectionists. We will write a draft on top of draft and still think it’s not good enough when you thought the first one was perfect.
7. Euphemisms are our thing. We are all about making opinions that most choke on, poetic and easier to swallow.
8. For a poet anything and everything is an inspiration. We will drop what we’re doing in a second just to try to bring what we see in our heads to life.
9. Without fail poets will turn you into a love poem. We'll talk about your eyes and the way they light up when you talk. We'll make a poem about all the things you love or how addictive your laugh is. Better still, that home you've been searching for years to find which you thought was some inanimate structure? Well for us that home is a heartbeat with a captivating smile.
10. Final word of caution: do not break a poets heart! Because if you do, we’ll write a break up poem and talk about the way the storm came and destroyed everything you loved. We’ll talk about your eyes again but how they don’t light up anymore. We’ll talk about how it seems like everyone was able to take shelter from the storm, but we were left out in the rain, unable to move, because we loved you, with everything we had, and now, we’re empty, and lonely, and can't comprehend ... a world ... without ... you in it .... and.... it will never end ... EVER!
About the Author
My name is Gabi Angel and I am from Virginia, USA. I am 17 years old. I started as a Culinary Arts major, but changed it once I realised how much I love writing. Now I am a Liberal Arts major in college. I fell in love with poetry when I was 13, and have been in love ever since. My ultimate goal is to be an outlet for someone who needs it, because life has a weird way of stacking all the odds against you and poetry can help me do that. Please check out my write ups on Instagram @gawritings